University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program 2021/2022 Fellowship for Faculty from African Universities (Fully Funded to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA) Application requirements and Deadline.
The UMAPS program hosts two cohorts per year (August through December, and January through May), with *one* application round for both cohorts. Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their preference for a particular cohort during the application process, but placement in a particular cohort (upon acceptance in the program) is not guaranteed.
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
Nomination is required for applicants from outside Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya, and needs to be completed by a U-M faculty member familiar with the work of the prospective applicant. The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
As soon as we receive the complete nomination form and letter of support, we will send the nominated candidate an email invitation with a link to the application portal for nominated applicants; please do not use the regular application portal.
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Five months of residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, paired with a faculty collaborator with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, medical insurance, a research allowance, and a modest stipend to cover living (Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents)
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
For further inquiries, please contact: [email protected]
Application Checklist and Timeline
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, this link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ghana, South Africa, or Kenya)
- Upload a curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s disciplinary initiatives—AHHI, ASRI, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program 2021/2022 Fellowship
Application Deadline: October 15th 2020